Our project partner DW Akademie in Germany developed the Beyond Your World handbook on reporting the world. The handbook is based on our experiences and learning from the project and knowledge from within our organisations. The main objective of the handbook is to enable educators to teach 'global inter-cultural journalism' - a journalism that responsibly and accurately explains the wider world.
The handbook covers the following areas:
- Perceiving the world: covers how our own perceptions affect interpretations of the world around us
- Media perspectives: the practice and culture of the media and journalistic standards
- Construction of the media: how mass media can influence our ideas about the world
- Ethics: what ethical issues can come up when a journalist is working in the field
- Practicalities of foreign reporting: provides student journalists practical tips to cover a story from the developing world
The BYW handbook is available to download now.