One World Media is a non-profit organisation, registered in the UK as a charitable trust. We promote media that contributes to global dialogue and understanding, human rights and development, mobilising a global media community that shares our values.
We are politically independent and not aligned to any particular media company. We engage with a wide range of media organisations and individual journalists, film-makers, broadcasters, researchers, educators, campaigners and policy-makers, many of whom give their time and expertise voluntarily to support our work.
We believe the media can be a powerful tool to increase global dialogue and understanding, to support international development and promote democracy and fair government worldwide.
What we do
Since 1987 we have been working with insiders and experts across all media, creating links to people in the fields of international development, human rights and education who share our vision for the world's media and who recognise the part the media can play in tackling issues like poverty, hunger, climate change and conflict resolution.
We influence, encourage, enable, celebrate and showcase media talent that helps fulfil our mission in a variety of ways:
- Our Awards recognise the most outstanding media coverage of the developing world each year
- One World Media Week presents a programme of workshops, panel discussions, funding opportunities, screenings and talks
- Our educational work with students and universities enables the next generation of media professionals to engage with the wider world
- Our Fellowships provide professional development opportunities to broadcasters from the developing world and the UK, focusing on international dialogue and the promotion of media standards, human rights and development
- Through other activities, often with partner organisations, we work with young people to raise awareness of the wider world in the UK; highlight media as a tool for development in fields like health, education, the economy, governance and human rights; and contribute to research, advocacy and lobbying for greater visibility in the media of international issues such as the Millennium Development Goals and the diverse cultures of the world.
Jon Snow, patron of One World Media
Our vision is of independent, plural, diverse, and honest media that contribute to a better informed, more equal, just and tolerant world where every voice counts.
Our mission is to influence the people who control and work in the media around the world to promote global dialogue, tolerance and understanding, give marginalised people a voice and contribute to international development.
We value objectivity, creativity, diversity, inclusivity, public service, professional ethics, high quality, and the common humanity of the peoples of the world.
Click here to learn more about our founders, history and achievements over the past 25 years.
Click here to download our 2011-12 Annual Report (pdf)