Benefits: Full-time, £45K pro rata, flexible working will be considered
Reports to: OWM Chair
Location: Home-working, with regular use of London office
About the Role
One World Media is a London based non-profit committed to celebrating filmmakers and journalists telling underreported global stories.
We are currently seeking a Director to lead the organisation into its next phase of growth and impact. This is an exciting and varied role, responsible for leading the prestigious OWM Awards and our ambitious training programmes for emerging talent.
Our new talent programmes are designed to create a supportive community and provide a springboard into the media industry. Through our annual Fellowship programme and year-round training events, including the Global Short Docs Forum, we prioritise learning and mentorship for non-fiction storytellers covering the global south.
The Director will be committed to being a dynamic force within a small team, ensuring that OWM fulfils its mission and stays true to its core objectives. Working closely with the board and the team in setting the strategic direction for the organisations, you will be focused on fundraising and managing partnerships globally, while also shaping the future of OWM’s programmes on the international stage.
We are looking for someone who can bring their energy and enthusiasm to growing One World Media’s global reach and impact. It is an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional who can balance strong management, partnership and financial skills, with a passion for the international media landscape.
Job Description: Responsibilities and Tasks
- Oversee management of OWM’s key programmes, the One World Media Awards, Events, Fellowship and Global Short Docs Forum.
- Lead all communications, events and talent development activities, and line manage staff responsible for these areas.
- Ensure implementation of actions arising from quarterly Board meetings.
Networking, Relationship Management & Stakeholders Liaison
- Maintain and build contacts relevant to organisational development. These will include external contacts from media and international development sectors.
- Play a key role in identifying new opportunities, including strategic partnerships with potential to strengthen OWM’s fundraising or operations.
- Represent OWM at relevant public events such as conferences, seminars and international meetings and actively contribute to advancing OWM’s mission by developing strategic alliances.
Fundraising & Financial Management
- Identify and effectively target new donor opportunities for awards sponsorships or project funding.
- Devise the organisation’s annual budget based on accurate predictions of projected income and expenditure.
Human Resource Management
- Agree objectives and work plans with staff.
- Conduct annual staff performance reviews.
- Recruit new staff as appropriate.
- Report Regularly to the Board and Chairman.
- Produce effective, clear internal communications that facilitates board decision-making and enables integrated planning and management of the organisation.
- Present to the board One World Media’s quarterly management accounts and financial reports produced by OWM’s book-keeper.
OWM is a tightly resourced, tightly staffed organisation. All employees are therefore expected to show flexibility in their work. You will be expected to attend our events some of which will be held in the evening or abroad. Any overtime will be recompensed as time off in lieu.
- Staff management in the media industry
- Supporting emerging media producers and/or filmmakers
- A proven track record in liaising with a variety of stakeholders, both within the UK and overseas
- Raising funds through partnerships or from media grants
- Experience of project management
- Experience of media production
- Proven track record of building and motivating teams and networks
- Superior writing and oral communication skills in English
- Entrepreneurship and management of budgets and resources
- To manage a complex workload
- To be a team player and leader within a small office environment
- To work in a collaborative spirit with trustees and staff in order to build consensus in reaching goals and objectives
- Tact and diplomacy
Knowledge & interests in
- UK & international media industry
- UK and international voluntary sector
- International news and current affairs
- International development
How to apply
Please complete and submit this form by 10am on Tuesday 31 October.
Interviews to take place week commencing 6 November.
Please contact us if you require any assistance or adjustment so that we can help ensure the application process works for you. We encourage you to apply even if you feel that you do not meet all of the details in the person specification. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected] for an informal discussion about the role.
For queries about submitting the application, please write to [email protected].
About One World Media
We support journalists and filmmakers globally to tell stories that inform and connect us all.
We celebrate underreported stories that break down prejudice and connect cultures. Our One World Media Awards recognise the best media coverage of the global south.
We seek out and champion aspiring filmmakers and journalists covering underreported stories. Our Fellowship is a springboard for new talent covering stories globally with integrity and creativity.
We build connections between emerging and established players in the media and international development sector. Through our annual series of events, workshops and the Global Short Docs Forum we bring together a global network of filmmakers, journalists and industry leaders.